1910-1920 Photos found at the Library of Congress

Recently discovered photos of St. Margaret's sometime between 1910 and 1920, from the Library of Congress' collection of glass negatives from the venerable Washington photographers Harris & Ewing.


Recently discovered photos of St. Margaret's sometime between 1910 and 1920, from the Library of Congress' collection of glass negatives from the venerable Washington photographers Harris & Ewing.


When St. Margaret's first expanded in 1904, there were no stained glass windows on the Connecticut Avenue side. One can see the panes of clear glass in the large east transept window, the shutters in the low east wall, and the board-and-batten wood over the narthex door.



This photograph is slightly earlier than the other two in the Library of Congress' collection. A second staircase from the sidewalk hasn't yet been added. The luxuriant ivy is already climbing the walls, though.